20 Free DIY Playhouse Plans You Can Build Today
In the modern age of technology, building something that will engage your children might be just the way to go. With many of the designs compiled below, the kids can be a big part of designing or painting the structure if they are old enough.
For the children, there are designs to make any dream come true. From pirate ships to castle walls, there are different plans that teach you how to build a playhouse suitable for all types of imaginations. For the builder, each of the directions linked in the article guides you step-by-step through the process to make it fun and approachable for everyone involved.
1. The Easy Kids Indoor Playhouse from the House of Wood
The title describes this fancy playhouse as an “indoor” playhouse. This design from The House of Wood is versatile. Depending on the materials that are used, this can be made for both indoor and outdoor fun. This is an easy playhouse that still gives the builder some fun to make a design that looks fancy for the kids. They can even pick their favorite color to paint the wooden exterior. The downloadable plans include Jen’s shopping list as well as her tool list, diagrams, and more.
2. The Old Pallet Playhouse from Instructables
Who doesn’t love recycling? This playhouse is made from wooden pallets. It appears to be pulled straight from memories of grandparent’s lake cabins and hot summer days. Finding the right materials might only take a quick visit to an old lumber yard for some pallets. It is inexpensive to construct but a great investment in kid’s hearts. Get the instructions from Instructables.com.
3. The Cob-Style Playhouse from Instructables
Another interesting design from the Instructables. The cob-style playhouse looks like something your kids might stumble on when looking for fairytale creatures. Follow the link to get the diagrams and make your magic.
4. The Rustic Cabin Outdoor Playhouse Plan from Canadian Home Workshop
A more complicated design made for even more fun. Kids get the whole package here. The design includes diagrams that guide you through making a step ladder, a small climbing wall, a slide and a windowed house. It appears in the yard like a floating adventure cabin. Download the design from the Canadian Home Workshop to do it yourself.
5. The Scrap Fabric Teepee Build from Crafting a Green World
A different take on a playhouse that is still just as much fun. It continues to be a cool place to play for the kids even in the heat of the summer. A simple build made with 15-foot long poles and scrap fabric stretched around them. Tuck it into the trees or the back corner of the yard to make it feel like a Native American hideaway spot. Follow the straightforward directions at Crafting a Green World.
6. The Wild West Upcycled Boy’s Playhouse Design from The Owner Builder Network
Coming to you right out of a Hitchcock film is your very own Wild West playhouse. Fulfill the dreams of any young cowboy by making him his saloon or ranger station. The shingled roof keeps it protected and sturdy all year long. Get the instructions at the Owner Builder Network to try the wrangling life for yourself.
7. The Summer Reading Nook Hideaway Design from Vintage Revivals
Encourage your kid’s inner scholar with this special place meant for reading and relaxation. With curtains that can be extended down on either side, it is an airy place to sit and read. After building it, you may even want to give it a try. Follow the directions from the Vintage Revivals.
8. The Clubhouse Fort Castle Design from Instructables
This design will wow any kid or adult with your building prowess. Although the colors to all must be the same, the feeling of a king in a castle will remain. Give yourself plenty of time to work on this as it is more involved than some of the other listed designs. Another great design found at Instructables.com.
9. Free Playhouse Plans from Ana White
A very approachable design that looks like a lot of work and thought has gone into it. This is a good project to construct if you don’t have a lot of faith in your building abilities. The design from Ana White includes the house and a deck with a stepladder and climbing wall, all primarily built with plywood.
10. A Handmade Hideaway from The Handmade Home
A quaint design with an A-frame structure. This blueprint adds in a lot of fun details to make the simple build look intriguing and homey for the kids. Follow the detailed instructions at A Handmade Home to hand make it yourself.
11. The A-Frame Playhouse from Tiny House Living
Another A-frame design that is meant to bring out the creativity in you. It is easily re-designed, added and modified to make it the perfect playhouse for your kids. The wooden panels can be made from recycled doors to keep the environment happy and the cost down. Get the design from Tiny House Living.
12. The Indoor Clubhouse from Ikea Hackers
Many of the given ideas are for outdoor playhouses to save space. This clubhouse is designed to be thin but long. It fits in well with the slant in a home’s roof and can easily be made to double as a bed. Get the design from Ikea Hackers to hack the idea yourself.
13. The Canvas Sail Pirate Playhouse Design from Instructables
An incredible structure from the talented builders and designers that choose to post to the Instructables website. This is another design meant to fulfill a little boy’s pirate dream. It includes instructions for a subfloor and deck, the mast and even a crow’s nest. Get the instructions to hit the high seas from Instructables.
14. The Portable Prefabricated Domed Igloo from Instructables
A design that hearkens to the snow and ice igloos of the winter season. The best part of this design is that it is portable, made to be assembled, taken apart, moved and done again. The perfect design for a frequently traveling family. Get the design from Instructables.
15. The Salvaged Goods Tiny House Build from A Place Imagined
Tiny homes are all the trend nowadays. Give your kids a taste of the tiny life with this small playhouse made to resemble a home. You can even make it from the same materials your home is made from. The design allows for flexibility in the types of materials used. Get the design from A Place Imagined.
16. Unique Playhouse Plan form DIY Network
Through off the confines of traditional styles and go your way with this unique playhouse. A fun escape for the kids. Equipped with an “indoor” and “outdoor” area with a bench. This design from DIY Network allows your inner do-it-youself-er the taste of something different.
17. The Kids Play Outside Cottage Design from Build Eazy
Give your kids the country-side experience with this little cottage. With European design, it can almost feel like a new cultural experience. Easily painted with the kids to make it their own. The design from Build Eazy walks the builder through the design step-by-step. A great project for beginners.
18. The Boy’s Fire Station Custom Playhouse Idea from Instructables
Another indoor design meant to inspire firefighters in the family. A great design for boys, but courageous girls find it engaging as well. Find the inspiration for the design from Instructables to work an indoor station yourself.
- Related Read: Build vs Buy a House: Is It Cheaper to Build Your Own?
19. The Gingerbread Candy Playhouse Build from Instructables
Learn how to build a playhouse that is unique and will keep any kid occupied during the busy holiday season. The design is scaled for toddlers, but it can be scaled up for bigger kids. The color comes from tissue paper and the kids can help with the decoration for another positive distraction. Get the directions at Instructables.
20. The Converted Micro-Bus Playhouse Plan from Instructables
This converted bus inspires the tiny traveler. It can be constructed for indoor or outdoor use. The design includes a space on top of the van that is big enough for a mattress. If left outside, just remove this from the design. Another unique design you can get from Instructables.
Featured image credit: Playhouse by kimlimkildewelcher, Pixabay
- 1. The Easy Kids Indoor Playhouse from the House of Wood
- 2. The Old Pallet Playhouse from Instructables
- 3. The Cob-Style Playhouse from Instructables
- 4. The Rustic Cabin Outdoor Playhouse Plan from Canadian Home Workshop
- 5. The Scrap Fabric Teepee Build from Crafting a Green World
- 6. The Wild West Upcycled Boy’s Playhouse Design from The Owner Builder Network
- 7. The Summer Reading Nook Hideaway Design from Vintage Revivals
- 8. The Clubhouse Fort Castle Design from Instructables
- 9. Free Playhouse Plans from Ana White
- 10. A Handmade Hideaway from The Handmade Home
- 11. The A-Frame Playhouse from Tiny House Living
- 12. The Indoor Clubhouse from Ikea Hackers
- 13. The Canvas Sail Pirate Playhouse Design from Instructables
- 14. The Portable Prefabricated Domed Igloo from Instructables
- 15. The Salvaged Goods Tiny House Build from A Place Imagined
- 16. Unique Playhouse Plan form DIY Network
- 17. The Kids Play Outside Cottage Design from Build Eazy
- 18. The Boy’s Fire Station Custom Playhouse Idea from Instructables
- 19. The Gingerbread Candy Playhouse Build from Instructables
- 20. The Converted Micro-Bus Playhouse Plan from Instructables